Friday, December 11, 2009

Urban Decay "Show Pony Shadow Box"


When I was at my ULTA store a few weeks ago on the usual nail polish run, I found myself browsing the makeup. I already own an Urban Decay matte eyeshadow as well as the Urban Decay Primer Potion (UDPP), and all the little kits and sets were looking really tempting!! I helped myself to a couple of smaller eyeshadow kits in order to give other shadows a try. The Volume 2 of Urban Decay's "Book of shadows" (containing 16 shadows) didn't seem a good idea until I had tried a few more, and since they don't have a book of shadows in all matte, the little palettes were a way to test the waters with these shimmery ones.

First up is the "Show Pony Shadow Box" of six Urban Decay eye shadows.


What really caught my eye, besides the cute splashy artwork, was the miniature UDPP. How handy to have a travel size as a back-up for my full size primer potion! The colors also looked like good basic colors, with both neutral tones and some pops of color, all in warm tones.


Isn't this the cutest?? The artwork is by Kime Buzzelli.


Voila! Open, the palette reveals a mirror and the 6 shadows, with more decoration like on the outside.


Here are my home swatches, with apologies to the great arm swatchers such as KarlaSugar.



All of these shadows are quite shimmery on the surface. Starting on the top row left to right, "Snatch" is kind of shiny and sparkly and is a peachy, beige-y, coppery color---I seem to have a hard time finding the right words to describe the color. It seems to have some gold flakes in it. Against my finger, the shadow feels smooth but with some texture.


"Mildew" is a gorgeous olive drab green. Is this loden? It shows green in the palette but not a forest or emerald but a more neutral olive-y tone. On my finger it is soft and mossy...is it a moss green?? Swatched on the skin, it does have a shiny finish to it.


"Flash" is a beautiful medium purple that feels fairly smooth in texture on the skin.

"Painkiller" is very soft and smooth and easy to get a lot onto my finger. A very intense aqua blue. And look, it is very close in color to China Glaze Adore!!


"Smog" is a nice neutral light metallic brown color. It is very similar in color to "Toasted," below. Smog seems more of a greenish brown kind of color, though, while Toasted is a pinkish-coppery tone.


All together now!


Blaze and Mildew are at the bottom.

And, the kit wouldn't be complete with an eyeliner pencil, now would it? Here we have the 24/7 eye pencil in "Zero" which is black. Handy dandy!


Let's add the liner at to our eye shadow swatches to see it with the shadows.


The pencil goes on so smoothly. No one wants to be standing in front of the mirror, bearing down on her lids with her eyeliner pencil trying to get it to draw a good line. Pencils always go on pretty smoothly on the hand, while the real test is the eyelid; I do believe that this pencil that it will work nicely on the lid. I can't wait to try it, especially since I generally stick with brown or charcoal colors (with occasional green, blue or other fun colors....actually, I never use black now that I come to think of it).

More close-ups of the swatches with the liner.

Top to bottom: Snatch, Mildew, and Flash.


Top to bottom: Painkiller, Smog, Toasted.


Smog on top; Toasted on bottom.

The logical next step is to try some eye looks with these shadows. Yay, I can't wait! I am very glad I bought this sample kit. They are six great colors, it's great to have a test eye pencil in basic black, and I love having a mini size UDPP to take on the road!!

So far, I give this kit a preliminary Euridice 5 out of 5 YAY! rating, but the real score comes after trying them out for a while.

1 comment:

Euridice said...

Hi, Alena, thanks for the compliment on my blog! Glad to have you here reading it. Also, feel free to "Follow" using the Google connect thingie in the right column of my blog. Welcome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails